Breast Reduction in Dallas
In our culture, many women find that there is a direct connection between breast size and self-image. We tend to hear more talk about breast augmentation, which is one of the most commonly performed plastic surgery procedures in the United States. However, women with overly large breasts - a condition called macromastia - also can benefit from cosmetic surgery through breast reduction in Dallas. Breast reduction surgery, or reduction mammoplasty, has one of the highest rates of patient satisfaction of all plastic surgeries, due to the physical and psychological relief it provides to women with overly large breasts. For women whose large breasts have also begun to sag significantly, Dr. Bogdan can combine breast reduction with a breast lift or tummy tuck in Dallas.
If you are interested in learning more about breast reduction surgery, click here to request a consultation with Dr. Michael Bogdan, a board-certified plastic surgeon in Dallas, Texas.
A board-certified plastic surgeon specializing in aesthetic surgery, Dr. Bogdan provides advanced surgical skill for his patients' needs.
Who is a Candidate for Breast Reduction?
Women who choose breast reduction typically have spent years dealing with the many discomforts associated with overly large breasts. These include:
- Neck, back, and shoulder pain
- Posture problems
- Limitations on physical activity
- Rashes and skin irritation under the breasts
- Painful indentations from bra straps
- A feeling of being out of proportion or "top heavy"
- Enlarged areolas
- Extensive sagging, stretched skin, stretch marks
Just as compelling as the physical reasons for wanting breast reduction are the psychological ones. Like most plastic surgeons in Dallas, Dr. Bogdan has heard many breast reduction patients say that their overly large breasts have caused them to be self-conscious due to unwelcome attention. Often, these women have been teased since puberty, and many feel the need to hide their bodies beneath baggy, shapeless clothing due to their self-consciousness.
Choosing Breast Reduction Surgery
Breast reduction surgery is designed to remove excess breast tissue, skin, and fat through incisions made directly on the breast. It is typically performed as an outpatient procedure utilizing general anesthesia. Depending on the amount of reduction desired, Dr. Bogdan will use one of the following breast reduction techniques:
- The anchor-shaped incision is the most commonly used for breast reduction, because it allows for the removal of a greater volume of breast tissue, fat, and skin. Because the nipple must be repositioned during breast reduction, the incision encircles the entire areola. From the areola, a straight-line incision descends downward, then meets with a curved incision along the underside of the breast. Through these incisions, the excess breast tissue, skin, and fat is removed, and in some cases the areola is reduced. The nipple is placed higher on the breast, while remaining attached to nerves and blood vessels. When the incisions are closed, the result is a lifted and tightened breast that is more in proportion with the patient's body. Please see this animated breast reduction video for more information.
- The vertical breast reduction is also called the "lollipop" reduction, because of the shape of the incision. It encircles the areola, then descends in a straight line, forming the lollipop shape. The procedure is the same as with the anchor-shaped incision, but is more limited in the amount of breast tissue, fat, and skin removed. This incision method is appropriate for women who require a lesser degree of reduction.
Breast reduction surgery in Dallas involves more than just making your breasts smaller. It is an aesthetic procedure that involves sculpting and re-shaping the breasts into a pleasing contour. As with any cosmetic surgery procedure, it is critical that you choose a plastic surgeon with high levels of training, experience, and patient satisfaction, such as Dr. Bogdan. Please click here if you would like to see some of Dr. Bogdan's breast reduction before and after photos.
If you would like to find out if breast reduction surgery is right for you, click here to request a consultation with Dr. Michael Bogdan, a board-certified plastic surgeon specializing in breast reduction. Or, you can call his office to schedule your appointment.
Southlake: (817) 442-1236